Making Paint.

I do not make it easy for myself – but that’s the point.

 

I decided to have a go at making my own paint. I thought that it would be interesting for my work to have EVERYTHING created by me – so the paint, the paper and of course the work. By doing this it means I have total control over everything.

So I decided that I would start with making paint as I have made paper before so I do know the process – but I have never made paint before. I had a quick google search to see roughly how to make it but did not read in depth too much as I wanted to explore the making by myself without many pre-conceptions. I wanted to enjoy the experimentation because if there is one thing I am good at, is experimenting – I like to try everything that I can think of with the possible materials that I have. It helps me understand the material in a way that could not be explained to me. By exploring and feeling and discovering my way through new materials helps me better comprehend what and how to create with said material.

 

I went out and bought the basics that I thought I would need to create some paint. I wanted to keep it as simple as I could – I didn’t want to overcomplicate things because well its the simplicity that creates the complex. For the first try, I used flour and water as the base kind of materials and then I used salt to help sort out the consistency as without it, the paint is kind of sticky and I didn’t like that – I don’t like sticky stuff because I hate having sticky hands, it makes me feel sick. Then once I had got the correct consistency that I wanted, I added the food colouring which was of course black. IMG_E0829

 

It was hard to get the correct density of black with this concoction just due to the colouring that I bought. It was just black natural food colouring from Asda and I needed quite a lot to even get a little bit black. Mostly it was just grey.

 

The texture of the paint was also not so great. Once mixed it was okay but then left for a few minutes it started the get clumpy and the food colouring separated and sunk to the bottom.

 

The next one I tried was with the same base ingredients – flour, water and salt but instead I used Rainbow Dust Professional Grade Colouring which seemed to work a lot better in my opinion. It made it a lot more blacker than the first batch.

 

This one turned out rather interesting. When mixed and lathered onto paper it was very black. However, when thinned out and started to dry a sort of pink\purple haze appeared – which I did like. I am presuming it was just from the food colouring to make the black more intense – but either way it turned out well. I think it was the best one out of the lot.

 

The last one that I tried was with again, the flour,water and salt. But this time I used Black Oxide which is a mineral pigment powder which is often used in cosmetics.

 

IMG_E0816IMG_0815This one also turned out successfully as it was rather dark – and since the oxides were in powder form it helped an awful lot with the consistency and texture of the paint. This one was probably the best consistency out of all the experiments.

 

I had fun experimenting and making my own materials. I am an unsure if I will use it within my practice yet though. I would like to but I think  I would need to do a bit more experimenting and research into creating the correct pigment and texture. But either way it was a useful experiment.

 

 

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s